NB: Some of my earliest blogs no longer have their accompanying images but enjoy the copy!
The challenge: persuading your workmates to eat matcha powder.
The Solution: By mixing it into cakes and adding alcohol.
I took a simple Good To Know recipe, doubled it and added some extra ingredients. The original recipe can be found here and is absolutely delicious, or you could use my original version below.
Ingredients (makes approx. 20 cupcakes)
- 200g (8oz) caster sugar
- 200g (8oz) butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 200g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30ml (2tbsp) milk
- 1 shot glass of umeshu
- 100g (4oz) butter, softened
- 150g (6oz) icing sugar
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- Icing sugar, for dusting
1) Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Line a muffin tray with 20 paper muffin cases.
2) Place the sugar, butter, eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and umeshu in a large bowl and mix with an electric whisk or by hand until pale and creamy.
3) Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 mins until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack. Leave to cool.
4) To make the buttercream, place the butter in a bowl and sift over the icing sugar and matcha. Beat until smooth.
5) Slice the tops off each cake and fill the cavities with a little buttercream. Cut each sliced top in half and arrange on top of the filling to resemble butterfly wings. Dust lightly with icing sugar.
I even made a little video to go with it. I hope you appreciate the music that I used!
This video is unusually going up on a Sunday as I’ve had very limited access to my internet in the last week. For some reason, it stops working after 3pm so it’s useless when I get home from work. You MAY get an extra blog post on Tuesday but that depends entirely on whether BT can solve what’s going on…